QuickFire Q&A with Sir Ranulph Fiennes
Every so often, Ranulph answers questions submitted to him via this website. This week, he is answering the following 7 questions. Should you have a burning question you would like to ask him, just get in touch!
• Is it true you are an official patron of the UKIP political party? • No, that is not true. I have never been an official patron of UKIP.
• How would you describe your occupation? • British Army Officer, explorer and travel writer
• In the army, what units have you served in? • The Royal Scots Greys, 22SAS, Sultan of Oman's Army (Territorial Army in 21SAS and “R Squadron”)
• Would you class yourself as an adventurer? • No, I am an expedition leader.
• Do you believe you found the lost city Oman in 1992? • Yes, I believe we did find the lost city of Irem (often misspelt) in Oman. This was also confirmed by the Omani Ministry of Heritage.
• How many books have you written so far (as of February 2019)? • 25
• In 2013, you were forced to pull out of The Coldest Journey, how hard is it for you to listen to the advice of Dr Mike Stroud? • Dr Mike Stroud, my Expedition partner since 1985, and I advise each other constantly and often agree to disagree. We have worked extremely well together for over 20 years. He was my skiing partner during The Coldest Journey.